Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Yummy Appetizer

On Monday morning (7/19) I decided to try something in the deep fryer. Fried Mashed Potato Balls....YUM!!!! The girls LOVED them.

Made a 6 serving batch of instant potatoes (fresh potatoes and me don't mix well-I can do roasted, but mashed...forget it!). I added 2 eggs after the potatoes cooled to thicken them up so that they could be formed into balls. I also added 1 cup of panko crumbs along with some seasonings...cayenne pepper, salt, and fresh pepper.

This was an experiment. As I look back, I could have carmelized some onions, or added fresh green onions. I was thinking about hush puppies with a twist.

Make sure to get your frying pot ready. I have a deep fryer (375 degrees), however, you could just fill a pot about half full of peanut oil and use that. If you don't have a thermometer that will give you the temperature, just put it on med/high and test the oil by dropping a little of the mixture in the pot. If it bubbles, then it is ready.

An extra added yummy thing....string cheese! I was going to use mozzarella, however could not find the fresh stuff at my local store, so my youngest daughter suggested string cheese! She is a young chef in training! Ha Ha!

Cut the cheese into little rounds or chunks that will be put into the middle of the potato balls. Make sure that they aren't too big. You don't want them to leak out of the ball and not be able to get yummy and gooey in the center of the potato ball.

Before you start to roll the balls...have a plate with panko crumbs in it and any other seasonings that you might want for the crust.

Use a little cornstarch or flour to keep the potato from sticking to your hands...grab a golf ball size of the potato, flatten it, put a piece of the cheese in the middle of the patty, and then fold over the edges and roll it to form a ball with the potato mixture.

This is where I think an egg wash might need to be used so that the crumbs would stick better. I thought that the crumbs would stick just fine with the moisture of the potatoes (they did stick, but might have been better??? I will try it again soon) :) I just rolled the balls in the crumbs and slowly submerged them in the oil.

Fry them until golden brown. It is very important to put them in slowly, leave them alone until the bottom side is brown and then roll them over. Let that side brown (it takes about 2-3 minutes per side) and then pull them out onto a paper towel to drain and dash a little salt and pepper on them right after they come out.

So yummy and so decadent. I am not a sweets person, so this is my treat...carbs, salt, spice....WOW!!! Try it, you could use a marinara sauce, cheese sauce, even a honey based sweet dipping sauce for these.

IMAGINE the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment